Friday, February 26, 2010

Day Making Up for Lost Time - Fri. 2/26/10

At last the much promised blog is live! More entries and photos to come . . . Now, it's back to finding out how to build my pin collection. It didn't take me long to learn that if someone asks for a pin. Your first response is, "What have you got to trade?" The best addition to my collection is a pin from Korea House, which is especially coveted because of South Korean skater Kim Yu-Na's gold medal finish in Women's Figure Skating. Curious about pin trading? Check out this link:

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/2010wintergames/curious+custom+trading+tokens+tales/2610820/story.html

Even with pouring rain, the excitement in the city in palpable especially after the Canadian women's hockey gold medal game! Trust me when I say you haven't seen hockey until you've seen it played in Canada (and at the Olympics)! I had such fun watching the final moments of the Canada-Russia elimination game outside the entrance of the Molson Hockey House since I wasn't willing to spend $750 Canadian for a VIP ticket! (Yep, you read it right that's 75 with a zero!) (The Pavilion was packed without room even for a fabulous volunteer like me!) The lessons learned here are building on what I learned while visiting Austin, Texas last fall during a home football game for the Texas Longhorns i.e., you haven't seen football until you've seen it in Texas!)

Today's schedule includes a volunteer stint at The Saskatchewan Pavilion at Concord Place. The tent and its fabulous dome are next to the Maison Quebec. (Je'taime Quebec, but why would you build a house with no roof for the Vancouver 2010 Games?) Maison Quebec has tres manifique creme brulee Wednesday night, I listened to French rap about First Nations peoples. Great times!

We had our 100,000 visitor to The Pavilion yesterday! Go Saskatchewan! Jeff's video blog at http://www.saskpavilion.ca/ is a great way to see my fellow volunteers in action!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great time, Brenda! :-) Look forward to hearing more.

    ReplyDelete