Friday, February 26, 2010

Going for the Gold - It's on!

Lucky me! I got to leave a bit early tonight from The Pavilion. I had another amusing evening promoting my adopted home away from home. Canadian hockey victories - particularly the men's team - seem to bring out the beast in some of the fans especially males. One of the women - out with her boyfriend - reminded me that it's always the guys who ask me where to stand in line for the beer. She is so right!

The pin trading was good tonight, but not as plentiful as I'd liked. I've acquired an apple and maple leaf from someone who picked them up at the Apple store. I need to go to the Apple store to get some help with my battery issues. I'll troubleshoot first though. The weak battery has kept mobile posting to nearly nothing. My other fabulous acquisition is an Omega pin from the 1980 Moscow Olympics. (I have to believe that the pin is a reproduction of the original pin. As you may realize, Omega is our time keeper at the Olympics. I also have a pin from the aboriginal youth at Nunavut House.

Notice the 1980 and pin trading theme here? Well . . . After standing in line for an eternity, I finally made it into the "official" Olympics store at The Bay Company on Granville. I picked up souvenirs for family and also had a chance to talk with some pin traders extraordinaire. One of them said he'd been to 12 Olympics and that the Vancouver Olympics were the worst trading he'd seen. He was giving kids pins for a smile. (No, he wasn't creepy!!!) Another collector had two 1980 US Hockey team pins that were originals. I tried trading, but didn't have good enough bait. Some of these collectors had thousands of pins.

For those of you who don't follow hockey, now's a great time to get in on the Olympic race for the gold. Tonight's 3-2 victory over the Slovaks shows us it's on. We're about to see the most celebrated Gold Medal game in Olympic history (at least since the US versus USSR at the 1980 Olympics) - Canada versus United States on Sunday, 2/28 12:15 p.m. (Pacific Time). I'm definitely planning on catching the game. As much as I love Canada, I think I've got to cheer the US on for Sunday's game. I'll be a nearly lone fir amidst the maple leafs. I'm women enough for the job though.

No comments:

Post a Comment